1 relating to or marked by qualities associated with the north wind
2 toward or located in the north; "the boreal signs of the Zodiac"
3 comprising or throughout far northern regions [syn: circumboreal]
Etymologyborealis, northern, from (Boreas), personification of the north wind
- of, relating to, or coming from the north
Boreal may refer to:
- Northern, from Boreas, god of the North Wind in Greek mythology
- Boreal climate, the climate found in a region of boreal forests, and designated Dfc, Dwc or Dsc in the Köppen climate classification scheme.
- Boreal ecosystem
- The Boreal (period), the first climatic phase of the Blytt-Sernander sequence of northern Europe, during the Holocene epoch.
- Boreal owl
- The Boreal Shield, a region of ancient rock in Canada
- A manufacturer of climbing shoes
- Lord Carlo Boreal, a fictional character in Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.
- Boreal Mountain Resort, a ski resort in the Lake Tahoe area of California
- Boreal left
- Boreale brewery
boreal in Danish: Borealt klima
boreal in French: Boréal
boreal in Galician: Boreal
boreal in Portuguese: Boreal
boreal in Ukrainian: Бореальний
Siberian, aeolian, aestival, airish, airy, algid, antarctic, arctic, austral, autumn, autumnal, below zero, biting, bitter, bitterly cold, blasty, bleak, blowy, blustering, blusterous, blustery, breezy, brisk, brumal, canicular, cold, cold as charity, cold as death, cold as ice, cold as marble, crisp, cutting, drafty, east, eastbound, easterly, eastermost, eastern, easternmost, equinoctial, favonian, flawy, freezing, freezing cold, fresh, frigid, gelid, glacial, gusty, hibernal, hiemal, hyperborean, ice-cold, ice-encrusted, icelike, icy, inclement, keen, meridional, midsummer, midwinter, nipping, nippy, north, northbound, northeast, northeasterly, northeastern, northerly, northern, northernmost, northwest, northwesterly, northwestern, numbing, occidental, oriental, out of season, penetrating, piercing, pinching, puffy, raw, rigorous, seasonal, severe, sharp, sleety, slushy, snappy, solstitial, south, southbound, southeast, southeasterly, southeastern, southerly, southern, southernmost, southwest, southwesterly, southwestern, spring, springlike, squally, stone-cold, subzero, summer, summerlike, summerly, summery, supercooled, vernal, west, westbound, westerly, western, westernmost, windy, winter, winterbound, winterlike, wintery, wintry